Seal the windows with rubber - checklist
Older windows can be sealed with rubber without much prior knowledge. The measure protects against drafts and therefore saves heating energy.
Checking the condition of the windows
Small cracks, which allow drafts to penetrate through the rebate when the window is closed, can be effectively sealed by gluing in rubber seals. However, the method does not use anything if the air penetrates between glass and frame or if the gaps are too large. Therefore, you should first check the windows. To detect the leaks is a burning candle. Caution: Please remove the curtains first.
- Are there leaks between the glass and the frame?
- Does air penetrate directly through the frame?
- Are there gaps between the movable sash and the fixed frame?
- Are the gaps larger than three millimeters?
Preparing to seal with rubber
Leaks between glass and frame can be sealed with window putty or window silicone. For wooden windows, putty is usually required. Places in the frame through which air penetrates should be filled with putty. Equally larger gaps between the movable and fixed part of the window. A proven trick is to apply putty in the window fold, cover the still moist mass with cling film and close the window. The mass automatically adapts to the desired shape in this way.
- In the event of damage to the frame, purchase a putty suitable for the material of the frame.
- If necessary, obtain window putty for puttied slices, otherwise window silicone
- sanding paper, cutter, cling film
- Fill window with putty or silicone.
- Fill in the damage to the frame.
- Fill window with putty.
- Cover with foil. Close the window.
- Remove the foil if the mass is hard.
- Abrasive or cut away the supernatants.
Glue in the profile gasket
If the windows are prepared as described, only a small amount of air penetrates through the rebate. This leak can be sealed with sealing tape. There are self-adhesive seals made of foam rubber or profile rubber. Foam is pretty thin. Better are self-adhesive rubber seals, which have the shape of a hollow profile. These also seal slightly larger gaps.
- Obtain a sufficient amount of gaskets.
- Wash the window rebate with benzene.
- Cut the gasket to the width of the window. Glue the top and bottom of the rebate.
- Trim the gaskets at window height.
- Glue the material between the two horizontal gaskets.
- Correct the length of the vertical gaskets.
Draft-free windows are only a temporary solution
These measures prevent drafts, but are no substitute for high-quality windows with thermal glazing.
|Living with a clear view: rooms with many windows To the gallery >>||Living with a clear view: rooms with many windows To the gallery >>||Life with full view: rooms with many windows To the gallery >>||Living with a full view: rooms with many windows To the gallery >>||Life with a full view: Rooms with many windows To the gallery >>||Living with a clear view: Rooms with many windows To the gallery >>||Living with a full view: Rooms with many windows To the gallery >>|
Seal windows: what does it cost?
These and many more Fra
Seal the terrace: what does it cost?
We answer these and many other questions in the price radar around the topic of sealing the terrace.