Repairing Roofing Paper - Checklist
A leaking roof can be caused by damage in the roofing felt. These can be repaired in different ways.
Determine the extent of damage to the roofing felt
If only a small amount of water penetrates, the damage to the roofing felt could be very slight. It may not be noticed during a visual inspection of the roof. As a rule, however, you will clearly recognize a damaged area. If a lot of water penetrates, the cardboard was probably misplaced. Even many small damages indicate such misplacement errors. The roof will probably not be permanently sealed, even if new bituminous membranes are simply glued. It therefore does not make much sense to repair the roof with roofing felt without scrutiny.
- Did large amounts of water penetrate?
- Did the tracks go completely clear? (New gluing is possible).
- Are there many small damages? (Repair is not very promising).
- Are connections to walls or gutters leaking? (Roof can not be sealed with roofing felt).
- Are small damages visible with low water penetration? (Repair is Promising).
Repair Small Damage at Favorable Temperatures
If there are few visible damages and at the same time only small amounts of water penetrate, a repair of the roofing felt is possible. This almost always leads to success. This procedure is recommended:
- Turn the roof around the damaged area.
- Check that the outside temperatures are in the range of 10 ° and 30 °.
- Check if the roof is dry.
- The places concerned seal with roof paint
- Spray water on roof
- Check if roof is tight.
- If necessary, stick some roofing felt with cold glue.
- Repeat leak test.
Universal Repair Technique with Bitumen Welding Lanes
In general, repairs with sealants or cold adhesives are usually not permanently successful. The best way is to repair a roof with bitumen welds. Because you work with a burner, it can also be laid with a damp roof. For this reason, no specific outside temperatures are required. The work should be done by a roofer. This can also rule out other causes why a roof is leaking.
- Measure the damaged area, if necessary, measure the entire roof area.
- Slam a little over ten percent as the sheets have to overlap.
- Organize gas burners.
- Make shoes with heat-resistant soles.
- Roll the web to the test to check for correct position.
- Roll almost the entire web to one side,
- section by side the bottom of the web, which is now on top of the roll , heat with the burner.
- Once the bitumen has melted, roll the section onto the roof.
- Press the section with your feet.
- Lay all the tracks in this way.
More about repairing the roofing felt : Laying bituminous membranes - the biggest sources of error>
Covering the pavilion roof - step by step>
Pitch roof or flat roof - what's better? >
Renovating the garage roof - Checklist>
The flat roof: Elegant, modern and surprisingly practical>
Repairing damage to roofing felt
Leaks are often due to installation errors. Therefore, only small repairs should be done on your own. Using a roofer saves time and money.
Sealing flat roofs: what does it cost?
We answer these and many other questions in our price radar around the topic of flat roofs.
Dispose of roofing paper: what does it cost?
We answer these and many other questions in the price radar around the topic of roofing felt.
Insulating a flat roof: what does it cost?
These and many other questions we answer in the price radar around the topic of flat roof insulation.
Roof cleaning: what does it cost?
These and many other questions we answer in the price radar around the topic of roof cleaning.
Trapezoidal sheet laying: what does it cost?
These and many other questions we answer in the price radar around the topic trapezoidal sheet.
Roof damage repair: what does it cost?
These and many other questions we answer in the price radar around the subject Repair the roof damage.