Repair external plaster - Checklist
Exterior plaster not only has a decorative character, it also protects the brickwork from moisture. This is why you need to repair damage as quickly as possible.
Analyzing Exterior Coatings
Plaster usually lasts for decades and shows only a few small damages during this time. These are often only superficial, for example due to mechanical damage. However, damage to the plaster can also have causes that will lead to more and more new damage. It is therefore important to not only detect the damage, but to classify it correctly.
- Are there any deep cleaning cracks that run diagonally from wall openings?
- Does the plaster stand out from the surface over a large area?
- Are there any cracks? following the course of the masonry joints?
- Are cracks visible along the ceilings of the building?
If any of these questions are answered in the affirmative, a specialist should be consulted. The cracks are either based on movements of the plaster base or wrong material was used. Repairing the damage alone can only be a short-term fix.
Repairing small cracks
Timely repair of cracks can protect the plaster from consequential damage. If the cracks do not extend into the flush, you can widen them, solidify the surface and fill with the material suitable for the finishing coat.
- Slightly widen the crack with a chisel.
- Prime with solidifying agent.
- Fill the crack with plaster
- Coat the area of the crack.
Repairing these cracks prevents water from penetrating the plaster, causing frost damage in winter.
Eliminate major plaster damage
If repairing, more than 10% of the exterior plaster Renewed, according to the German Energy Saving Ordinance (EnEV) also requires thermal insulation. This must be taken into account in the measures. Also check that the damage is caused by the building still moving.
- Apply gypsum to the damaged areas.
- After one month, check that the plaster shows cracks.
- Plaster in a range of
- If the plaster shows cracks, apply a separating layer for decoupling.
- Apply wire mesh underground.
- Finish with plaster and surface plaster.
- Paint the facade in the area.
If the plaster shows no cracks, the separating layer and the fabric can be dispensed with. Small cracks can also be filled with elastic mass. However, these will remain visible in the long term.
Take plaster damage seriously
It makes little sense to repair any recurring damage to the exterior plaster yourself. The causes should be clarified by a specialist.